Sunday, October 3, 2010

Comments 4 Teachers #2

Becky Goerend elaborated on the importance of reading to kids. I believe she's right on target when she said that it was important. I work with kids almost everyday, and most of them read a lot at home away from school. I think that is awesome because when I was in school, I only read to get by. Now I think reading is so beneficial to a kids mind.

In Kim Cofino's blog, Jane Goodall spoke at YIS on her whole life story. Most of her story centered around her supportive mother. Her mother helped her in a way that wasn't scornful, but of pure concern and comfort. The example was: She had a handful of earthworms to bed as a toddler, and her mother's reaction was not of disgust but laughter. Being honest and concerned, she taught her that the earth worms simply needed soil to survive. I think the way we talk to out children and also peers can have a huge effect on the outcome of a situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment